Wednesday, August 18, 2021

Enlightenment in the City

 Years ago, when I first began pondering the possibility of enlightenment, I pledged myself that, if there were such a state, I would find it in the city. The biblical notion of hearing God's voice in the desert seemed too easy for me way back then, as did the idea that one needed to seclude oneself in a cave high up in the Himalayas, His voice better to hear. “Any prophet or messiah could do that;” I told myself, but how many stories told of an awakened master who had gained enlightenment in the city midst the loud noises and sensual temptations it had to offer?

This then was my wish.

Well, that was eons ago, and enlightenment is still at bay. I am now ready to renounce my pledge and go wherever necessary to see the Light.

And the gods answered, “Enlightenment is dependent on time or place. It is a state of mind, a recognition of that which always is. It is not something you can become as you already are it.”

Which is to say, I am stuck in the city and the search continues as ever.

This is good because I really can’t afford to travel to the desert or the high peaks of the Himalayas.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment