Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Male balding pattern.


Anyone who’s grown a mustache or beard knows the feeling.

It’s a strange and wily experience for anyone who’s ever grown a mustache, become accustomed to it, and then shaved it off. Moments after you rinse the last hairs from the razor and look up into the mirror and see your upper lip looks like Howdy Doodie’s as if the rim of the lip stuck to your front teeth when smiling and won’t let go even after the grin is long gone. 
Beards must be worse. 
The pubic area can also take getting used to after your first waxing, strange, like an adult noodle on an infant’s crotch.

I had the same shock the first time a shaved my head, and haven’t recovered since then. The entire head looks so different from the inner image of myself I sometimes get a start when I inadvertently glance into a mirror. It’s gotten more drastic with age.

They say you can’t judge a book by its cover, but what if your book doesn’t have a cover? Or, hair?

I started losing my hair just as my life began to blossom: at 21. I’d finally removed from the sufferings of childhood and was, in my mind, on my way to becoming a star of stage and film. I was ecstatic.  As male balding pattern edged its way over my cranium, I went into a frantic depression. If I lost all my hair, ended up looking like my grandfather from whom I’d inherited the damn gene, what would become of my career, fame, and fortune? I’d received much acclaim about my naked ass on stage, but would the audience remain so enthusiastic about a naked cranium? I doubted it. At least, not back then.

From that point on, my ‘self’ with hair became my portrait of Dorian Gray. No matter how many positive remarks I got about my appearance, I couldn’t help thinking how much more impressive I would have come across with hair.  NO matter how good looking a person may be, hair improves one’s looks considerably.  

Even on the other side, how much more attractive an ugly person is made if they have a full head of hair. Or, do you think Tommy Lee Jones would look better bald? Tom Selleck? Julia Roberts?

The whole hype has changed over the years, especially now that the skinhead look has become so trendy. But for the years I spent onstage, I couldn’t help thinking the missing ingredient that would lead to overnight fortune and acclaim was hair.

Now that I am older, this whole thing ceases to bother me. How could anyone in their right mind really think it matters? There are so many other things happening in the world that deserve your attention. Getting ‘likes’ on Facebook, for example! 😉

No comments:

Post a Comment