Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Intention


Intention




One of the oldest and most seldom used tools for transformation (and staving off the ‘yuchs’ of growing older) is intention.



I learned how important intention is years ago in the est training, a consciousness-expanding seminar, (back in the 1970s), that was to spirituality what the pill was to sexuality. (Which doesn’t mean I set it into action. Not as often as the pill, anyway.)


But, as the whiskers of my Tom Selleck mustache began to go gray and anxiety entered the scene, I began grabbing again at the tools I learned so long ago. Amongst them all,  Intention has turned out to be the most powerful.


Setting your intention is as crucial to living a fulfilled life as fiber and chondroitin are to smooth movement. At least, once you reach a certain age. Without these essentials, we are bound to suffer constipation, joint pain, and a sense of purposeless.


Voicing our intention is a way to gain a more power over a world we seem to be losing control over.  Although intention may not create my reality, it does set it glowing in shades of gold and magenta.


So what exactly is intention?


For years, I thought intention and goals were synonymous. Then I noticed the difference: goals got me inspired, but only until I completed them. Kind of like those three weeks before Christmas followed by the gigantic let down the day after.  Whereas intentions got me inspired and kept me inspired so long as I continued to keep the intentions alive.


So, what is the difference between the two?


Goals are a destination: I am going to have the most toys on the block before I turn thirty. A goal is a future projection of the mind: I am going to be good so I will go to Heaven. But goals won’t necessarily keep you satisfied and fulfilled for very long afterward: I am going to marry with the most handsome man in the bar.


Intentions are lived each day, independent of whether you reach the goal or destination: I intend to be filled with fun, creativity, excitement while achieving the most toys on the block. Intentions set the timbre of the energy you hold when moving towards something you want: I intend to experience greater and greater levels of magic, fun, creativity, as I become eligible to enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Intentions are about the inner relationship with yourself: I intend to feel satisfied with myself even if the most handsome man goes home with someone else. 


Goals are focused on the future.

Intentions are in the present moment.

At the beginning of my yoga class, I often remind my yogis to set their intentions for the upcoming hour. (‘I see divine purpose in everything I do.’ ‘ I intend to feel satisfied no matter what happens.’ ‘I intend to stay awake in savasana and not to snore.’) By formulating their intentions before class, they are able to turn MY class into THEIR class.


(As most of my classes drop into chaos after 45 minutes or so is proof no one listened to my good advice, least of all myself always forgetting to set a positive intention until after class! πŸ˜‰)


Which leads me to my next subject: taking responsibility for your life.


But that is a completely other keg of beer, as we say over here in Bavaria. πŸ˜‰


No comments:

Post a Comment